Search This Blog

Friday, September 16, 2011

Happy Birthday Cindy Mickey Friedman!

Cindy Friedman Mosaicon
When I was 9 a new family moved into the house two doors down.  The Mickeys consisted of a mom, Trudy, a dad, Skip, three boys, Dave, Dan and little Rich, and a girl, Cindy. Within months, Cindy and I were becoming best buds. Although we were different in many ways, I was a tomboy and Cindy sewed Barbie clothes, we shared an interest in art, drawing and design.  Our lives continued to intertwine as we grew into adults and 48 years later, Cindy and I are still best buds. Although we've shaped very different lives we have grown together.  We are no longer just friends we are family. I can’t imagine my life without Cindy and I feel confident Cindy feels the same. 

The sun's features are molded from the face
of an antique bank.
    Many years ago, I shared with Cindy my enthusiasm for American folk art quilts and quilting.  She ran with it and now is an exceptional fabric artist, well-known in the Philadelphia area. As I’ve gotten involved in making jewelry and polymer clay art, Cindy has been my biggest supporter and promoter. This year I wanted to do something really special for her birthday.  I decided to make a Cindy Mosaicon based on the work of artist Laurie Mika. I constructed a mosaic of glass tiles and my own polymer clay tiles. For some tiles I used image transfer to show some of Cindy’s fabric art pieces. Other tiles were made with a variety of stamping, coloring and texturing methods. The sun compass represents our shared astrological sign, Leo, and Cindy’s travels around the world.  
Artist: One who professes and practices an imaginative art.
   To learn more about Cindy and her art, go to her website at www.cindyfriedman.com.  Also, if you are interested in creating a Mosaicon of your own, look into Laurie Mika’s book, Mixed Media Mosaics, Techniques and Projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment